July 25, 2009

Date Nights, Not What They Use To Be

If I put on my thinking cap I can remember what date night use to be. The girl would get all dressed ready for a BIG night out on the town. This would mean that we would take extra time to fix our hair just so, make sure that we didn't accidentally miss a spot while shaving and then we would find the perfect outfit to accentuate all of our "assets." As I have said before, things have changed a little (actually a lot) since the birth of Braxton. Keep reading to find out what date night consisted of tonight.

I think that my mom wants Braxton all to herself when she comes into town so she tells Jeremy and I that we need date night as an excuse to get us out of the house. Here are some of the recent dates that Jeremy and I have been on.

When Braxton was less then a week old Jeremy and I needed to go to Target and pick up a few things. Gi Gi was already at our house helping me out with Braxton so she got to babysit him first. Jeremy decided that he need to fill up the truck with gas and get it washed before we went to Target. We made it to the gas station, but by the time we had finished with the car wash I was in the middle of a breakdown. Jeremy told me that my hysterical crying was just "hormone related" and that it would be okay.

Side note to new fathers: this is NOT the thing to say to your child's mother while she is crying. Yes, we know that our hormones are out of whack, but we are still truly sad that our baby isn't with us at that very moment.

Now back to the story...I went on to try to explain to Jeremy that my heart actually hurt since I was missing Braxton so so so much. Needless to say our trip to Target didn't last that long. (Please also note that I am the type of person who can wonder aimlessly in Target for several hours looking at the same stuff that I saw there the previous week.) When I got back to Braxton I just rocked him while I finished crying and secretly vowing to never leave his side again.

Our next attempt at a date night was the Saturday before Jeremy's birthday while Bee Bee was in town (again). We did make it to the restaurant, but I had my crying fit (and I do me fit) before we even left the house.

The Friday after that meltdown we were able to have a date night without crying. (Okay, there might have been some sniffling, but no hysterical crying episodes occurred.) We went to see the newest Harry Potter movie and our wonderful neighbors across the street watched over Braxton. (They did a great job and they will be recruited again!)

After a day of golfing for Jeremy and a day of shopping for me our date night tonight consisted of us going to McDonald's by ourselves. I made Jeremy change out of the pair of Nike pants that he sometimes wears to bed. However, I got to keep on the sweatshirt that I was wearing and my hair was pulled back in a messy (non-sexy) ponytail. How romantic?!

No comments:

Post a Comment