July 2, 2009

Braxton's Birth Day

June 24th started off like a normal Wednesday for us. We got up around 5AM, took showers and got ready for the day. We climbed into the car together, like we usually do since we carpool together most days, and then we turned and looked into the backseat. There we saw staring back at us an empty car seat and we knew that it wouldn't be empty for long!

Our trip to the hospital.

I called my mom as we were leaving the house to see if they were on the road yet. Much to my surprise my mom and Dewayne were closer to Baptist Hospital than we were! Dewayne had said that he didn't know how traffic was going to be that morning so he wanted to leave early. Mission accomplished Dewayne! :)

I had already faxed over my admission paperwork, so check-in didn’t take that much time at all. (Side Note: A few weeks prior when I had been filling out the paperwork one of the questions was, “Do you have a living will?” This made me stop and think. Jeremy and my mom both knew that I wanted to be an organ donor and that I did not want life support, but I didn’t have any formal documentation of my wishes. I found a form online that you could customize for your wishes and for your state’s requirements so I filled it out.)

Now back to the story…we then waited in the waiting area for my prep-room. Soon the nurse came and got me and we were ready to go. (God how I hoped we were ready for everything that was about to come our way!!)


A little bit before 9:30AM they moved me into the operating/delivery room. Jeremy had to wait outside until the spinal tap was over (which wasn’t bad at all). When Jeremy came into the room I knew that it was only going to be a matter of minutes before we met Braxton. WOW, just minutes away from holding our son!! (Jeremy and I had talked the night before and it seems that just the other day I was telling him that we were pregnant.) They gave me oxygen while the surgery was going on in order to make sure that Braxton had enough air supply. I felt like it was a little too much oxygen and I started breathing funny and I freaked Jeremy out a bit. Then the incisions were made and at 9:59 AM after three pushes on my abdomen from the doctor we heard the best scream that you could ever here, Braxton’s first breath.

The next few minutes while they cleaned Braxton up were filled with anticipation, to say the very least! Then the moment came when I got to hold him for the first time.
For those of you who have experienced that moment for yourself you will understand why I can’t describe in words how I felt. For those of you who have not experienced that emotion for yourself I will try to explain the feeling…it was amazing (no not the right word), incredible (still not the right word), it felt like time had stood still just so that I could take in everything around us.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful blog. Brought tears - 6 years & approx 12 hours ago, that was me, holding my daughter for the first time. Enjoy each & every day. They grow up quick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In true Jeremy Head fashion......he still looks dapper even with scrubs on.

    ReplyDelete