May 22, 2009

The Itchy and Scratchy Show

The past couple of weeks I have been itching all over my body. Yes, I know that when skin stretches that it can cause your skin to be itchy, but this is not what I am talking about. I'm talking about being absolute miserable with my skin crawling and no relief in sight!

I haven't changed lotions, body wash, shampoo/conditioner or anything like that recently. So I have no idea where all of this itching and scratching came from. I have tried the calming lotion and there was still no relief. At least, there hasn't been an actual rash that has broken out!

A few nights ago it was so bad that I couldn't sleep. (I was at least productive during my non-sleeping hours of 10P and 5A.)So, today I broke down and called my doctor. My nurse told me to come in for some lab work so that we could rule out something going on with my liver.

In the meantime she gave some medicine to take since the lab work won't be back until Tuesday. As I read the directions and usage instructions I start cracking up. The very first sentence says, "Hydroxyzine is used for the short-term treatment of nervousness and tension that may occur with certain mental/mood disorders." I swear, I'm not crazy, my skin really does itch!! The information sheet did go on to say, "It is also used to treat itching."

So why do I itch all over????? The only change in my routine that I could come up with was that recently I have been taking Prilosec daily for heartburn. (In my defense, my Doctor said that I could.) After talking with my mom she suggested that I get a print off of possible side effects of Prilosec.

Side Effects of Prilosec:
-Numbness or tingling of the hands (My carpel tunnel syndrome has been worse the past few weeks.)

Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction include:
-Itching (Eureka! I figured it out. I felt like I was on an episode of House.)

It looks like it's back to me choking down Tums until Braxton shows up. (Only 7 more weeks!!)

1 comment:

  1. !!!! Good grief! Glad you were able to come up with a diagnosis instead of a co-pay!

    ReplyDelete