May 26, 2009

1 in 1,000

If you knew that I was special, raise your hand.
Okay, you can put your hand down.

As you know I have been itching A LOT lately. Today I got my lab results and the doctor said that I have what is called Cholestasis of pregnancy. This basically is a form of liver disease that can only occur during pregnancy (and usually goes away after delivery). Here is how it happens: Pregnancy hormones affect gallbladder function, resulting in slowing or stopping the flow of bile. The gallbladder holds bile that is produced in the liver, which is necessary in the breakdown of fats in digestion. When the bile flow is stopped or slowed down, this causes a buildup of bile acids in the liver which can spill into the bloodstream. Gross, huh?! Don't worry, I'll leave out all of the symptoms that I have experienced. This blog is a look into our lives, just not that close of a look.

How did this happen? Who knows! The only reason that I am coming up with is that I'm special. Cholestasis of pregnancy occurs in approximately 1 in 1,000. The most common "risk" factors are below.
~Women carrying multiples-Nope just one little guy in there
~Women who have previous liver damage-None to my knowledge
~Women whose mother or sisters had Cholestasis-No sisters and my mom and my aunt didn't have this
~Women who come from Swedish and Chilean ethnic groups-Nope again, I'm Welsh and Dutch

So what does this mean for Braxton?
I go on Thursday for a stress test like exam on Braxton. I really don't know what they are going to do or what will happen next. The things that I have read on the Internet (all reputable sites I swear) say that labor will probably be induced at 37 weeks (that is just a short 3 1/2 weeks away), test will be conducted weekly, he will be given steroids before birth, also before birth we both will get a Vitamin K shot to reduce the chance of hemorrhaging and a few other things could happen that I really don't want to talk or think about.

I know that things could be worse, but from someone who has had an amazingly easy pregnancy it is kind of freaking Jeremy and I out. Please keep all three of us in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment