November 11, 2009

Trying To Save The World

I feel really blessed in life and I want that blessed feeling to continue so I try to do good things.

I recycle.
I have helped my department at work at work become more paperless.
I donate blood on a regular basis.
I have raised money and committed a lot of time to the charities of Camels with a Cause.
I have donated food to Second Harvest Food Bank.
I am collecting books to start a children's library at a housing complex in Murfreesboro.

Yesterday afternoon I was at a stop light getting ready to get onto the highway from Downtown Nashville. This intersection always has homeless people there asking for money. I usually have no cash on me so I just drive on by while I say a prayer for them. There I was sitting in my SUV about to call someone on my iPhone that I had just gotten out of my Coach purse and wearing a pair of expensive boots. Oh, and I was headed to Target to shop and then on my way home to eat a full dinner and watch my big screen TV in my nice warm house. With all of that going through my head there is no wonder that I felt compelled to give when I saw the guy walk up to my window. This time it was different, I actually had cash to give! I rolled my window to hand him my change. He immediately asked for $5. I gave him what I had already pulled out of my wallet. He looked at it and then back up at me. I told him that it was a $1 coin. "Well, don't you got anymore?" I felt bad when I lied to him and said I didn't when in fact I had about $3 more. He then just walked away and my blood boiled so I called out "YOU"RE WELCOME!" He muttered, "Yeah, thanks."

I was so frustrated with him for not being thankful. That dollar could buy him a hamburger from McDonald's or some water or something else. As I drove towards Target I thought about what had happened. The conclusion that I came to was...when you give you aren't suppose to expect anything in return. The next thought was...but a little "thank you" isn't to much to ask. Is it?!

Don't worry, I will keep trying to save the world one good deed at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment